AbracaDABra


JohnEB

New member
A couple of weeks ago, I discovered the AbracaDABra Android App for DAB DXing.
It has completely changed my DAB DXing and is an absolutely super app.

I have been DAB(and DAB+) DXing (listening for distant DAB radio signals) for almost as long as DAB radio has been broadcast.
Up until now, the biggest problem has been identifying which TXs (transmitters) I am receiving.
DAB uses what are called SFNs (Single Frequency Networks), where a receiver may receive signal from a number of TXs in the network and all signals should be additive and enhance the overall reception.
However, this gives problems with DX reception as identifying which TXs are being received is not possible with a normal domestic receiver.
I did use an old Arcam DT81 for a while but this can only perform auto-scans and is very slow.

Now, with AbracaDABra, I can perform a single channel scan and identify the TII (Transmitter Identification Information) of all TXs being received for my selected channel block.
Alternatively, I can scan all channel blocks or just selected channel blocks and AbracaDABra will list all TXs received for each active channel.
In the tropospheric enhancement (lift) of a couple of weeks ago, I received Norway, Denmark, Holland, Germany, Belgium and France, all easily identified thanks to AbracaDABra.

If you want to try it, in addition to AbracaDABra, you will need an RTL SDR (or similar Software Defined Radio) dongle, a USB OTG (On The Go) cable to connect the dongle to tablet or phone, plus some form of DAB antenna.

Come and join me DAB/DAB+ DXing, it is great fun.

Best regards to all, John.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260424_211721.webp
    Screenshot_20260424_211721.webp
    172.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
A couple of weeks ago, I discovered the AbracaDABra Android App for DAB DXing.
It has completely changed my DAB DXing and is an absolutely super app.

I have been DAB(and DAB+) DXing (listening for distant DAB radio signals) for almost as long as DAB radio has been broadcast.
Up until now, the biggest problem has been identifying which TXs (transmitters) I am receiving.
DAB uses what are called SFNs (Single Frequency Networks), where a receiver may receive signal from a number of TXs in the network and all signals should be additive and enhance the overall reception.
However, this gives problems with DX reception as identifying which TXs are being received is not possible with a normal domestic receiver.
I did use an old Arcam DT81 for a while but this can only perform auto-scans and is very slow.

Now, with AbracaDABra, I can perform a single channel scan and identify the TII (Transmitter Identification Information) of all TXs being received for my selected channel block.
Alternatively, I can scan all channel blocks or just selected channel blocks and AbracaDABra will list all TXs received for each active channel.
In the tropospheric enhancement (lift) of a couple of weeks ago, I received Norway, Denmark, Holland, Germany, Belgium and France, all easily identified thanks to AbracaDABra.

If you want to try it, in addition to AbracaDABra, you will need an RTL SDR (or similar Software Defined Radio) dongle, a USB OTG (On The Go) cable to connect the dongle to tablet or phone, plus some form of DAB antenna.

Come and join me DAB/DAB+ DXing, it is great fun.

Best regards to all, John.
Hello folks,
This morning I had good VHF propagation from Norway.
I received the NRK Reg3 SorRog ensemble from two transmitter sites at the southern tip of Norway.
One with TII Code 38/12 was identified by AbracaDABra as located at Greipstad/Eidsavegen but the other with TII Code 43/15 was not identified.
The identified transmitter is shown as a red dot on the attached screengrab.
My location near Norwich, Norfolk is shown as a blue dot.
As you will see from the screengrab, the distance from my location to the transmitter is 758km.
I also made a video of the service NRK Jazz playing.
I will check but I don't think I am allowed to upload videos.
No, it tells me that my mp4 file does not have an allowed extension but fails to show me what is allowed 🤷‍♂️.

Best regards and good DXing to all, John.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20260813_055706.webp
    Screenshot_20260813_055706.webp
    167.4 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom